Monday, March 19, 2012

Tortilla Soup

Soup is becoming a little bit of a Sunday night tradition around here. It's a low-maintenance meal that we can throw together pretty quickly and I love having leftovers to eat for lunch the rest of the week. This week it was tortilla soup. K loves it. The recipe is something that his mom has been making for years and it is definitely delicious. The best part is that K enjoys making it. He's made it without my help on a few occasions, but typically this involves me playing sous chef (read: doing all the hard work) while K stirs the pot. All joking aside, I love that K has such a helpful nature and if it means that K and I actually get to cook together, I am perfectly happy to do the "hard" part. The good news is, this recipe really isn't that "hard" and the result is better than the many restaurant varieties I've tried. I hope you'll give it a try.

Yum! Better than Mi Cocina!
For the record: we do eat non-soup meals around here,
they just haven't found their way onto this blog yet.

Ingredients

1/4 cup butter
1 red onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
4 cups chicken broth (I buy low sodium)
2 lb. cooked chicken (4-6 breasts or one grocery store roast chicken)
2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
2 tbsp. cumin
1 tbsp. chili powder
2 cans tomato sauce (I buy no salt added)
tabasco and salt - to taste
jack cheese, tortilla chips and sour cream - for topping

Directions

Saute onions, peppers, jalapeño, tomatoes, and garlic in butter. Add chicken broth to sauted vegetables. Add diced chicken, spices, and red wine vinegar. Simmer and add tomato sauce until soup is rosy in color.

Serve with crumbled chips, cheese and sour cream.

Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment