Thursday, April 26, 2012

My Favorite Banana Bread

Banana bread is high on my list of favorite foods. Something about it is just so perfectly delicious. I love a slice with fruit for breakfast or topped with ice cream and drizzled with caramel sauce for dessert. I am constantly searching for new banana bread recipes. The gold standard? Something equal parts delicious and nutricious. I think this recipe for Banana's Foster Banana Bread is pretty darn close to perfect. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Bananas Foster Banana Bread
*adapted from Cooking Light

1 1/2 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3 bananas)
1 cup packed brown sugar, divided
6 tbsp butter, melted and divided
1/3 cup plain fat free yogurt
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp allspice
powered sugar

Preheat oven to 350.  Combine banana, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and 5 tbsp butter in a nonstick skillet.  Cook over medium heat until mixture in a large bowl.  Add yogurt, remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar, and eggs.  Beat with a mixer at medium speed.  Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (through allspice) in a small bowl.  Add flour mixture to banana mixture; beat just until blended.  Pour batter into a 9x5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray or lined with parchment paper.  Bake at 350 for about 1 hour.

*Optional: Combine remaining 1 tbsp melted butter, 1 tbsp milk, and powdered sugar; stir until well blended.  Drizzle over the warm bread.
**I also like making this into muffins.  Just half the baking time.

Anyone have any good banana bread recipes they want to share?  I'm always looking for a new ways to make my favorite bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment