Thursday, March 29, 2012

Our Wedding - The Paper

I l-o-v-e stationary, invitations and old-fashioned snail mail. So I was super excited to select the save-the-date and invitations for our wedding. These days, there seem to be endless possibilities when it comes to wedding invitations. I have seen so many beautiful combinations of color, calligraphy and interesting paper carefully selected to reflect a couple's individual style. For me, I knew our wedding invitation had to be traditional. I also knew that I wanted to have a little fun with our save-the-dates. With the help of the fabulous ladies at the Write Selection in Dallas, we developed a custom monogram for our save-the-date that we later incorporated into a theme of sorts for the wedding. Our B&K monogram ended up on everything from water bottles and welcome packages to napkins and stationary. Here's a peak at our save-the-date.

Including one of our engagement pictures was K's idea. I'm so glad he suggested it!

I think the save-the-date was fun and personal while still maintaining the traditional look we were going for. For our wedding invitations we went all traditional. Cream paper, black calligraphy, and separate reception and reply cards. The result was exactly what we had envisioned.

One of our favorite invitation details ended up being the decision to have the outer and inner envelopes addressed by a calligrapher. When we initially investigated this option we quickly learned that like so many things in the wedding world, it's expensive. Like anywhere from $3.00 to $5.00 per envelope expensive. With a guest list that was rapidly climbing above 200, we just could not justify spending that much on an envelope that would most likely be thrown away. What's a traditional girl to do when she wants calligraphy, but doesn't want to pay the price? Enter Carmella, a fabulous and affordable calligrapher that we learned about through the ladies of the Southern Weddings Blog.

I blurred the address for privacy purposes.

She did a fantastic job, don't you think? We liked her so much that we also had her personalize the menus for our reception and do the place cards for the bridesmaids luncheon. Let's just say I now have her contact info stored away for future parties and projects. An invaluable party-planning resource if you ask me.

What's your paper style? Are you a traditionalist like me? Or do you prefer to walk on the wild side and have a little fun with font, color and paper?

No comments:

Post a Comment